COME JOIN OUR TEAM!
You have goals and dreams that matter to you. Let’s see if we align!
We are looking for the right person to help us make the homeownership dreams of the 800+ customers who come through our Homebuying Center come true! If you have a passion for Baltimore City and a desire to help people buy homes, we would love to talk to you.
Neighborhood Housing Services of Baltimore is a well-established non-profit organization with a team-oriented work environment. NHS of Baltimore’s mission is to spark renewed vitality in neighborhoods by engaging our community partners, increasing sustainable homeownership and advancing capital solutions. We are looking for an experienced Bookkeeper to join our growing team in Baltimore, Maryland.
The Bookkeeper is responsible for the monthly processing of operational activities for the accounting department. Working with the staff accountants, the Bookkeeper ensures all financial data and reports issued for NHS of Baltimore, subsidiary ledgers, records, and processes, as well as all regulatory compliance reporting are completed in an accurate and timely manner. The Bookkeeper will also process payroll and provide Human Resources administrative support.
- Administer all bookkeeping responsibilities, including A/R, A/P, loan receivable, construction finance-related bookkeeping and reporting tasks
- Perform account reconciliations, including bank reconciliations and reconciliations of all subsidiary ledgers to general ledger
- Ensure that capital and operating grants and contributions are properly recorded, allocated and reconciled to correct ledger accounts
- Process bi-weekly payroll and employee benefits and monitor payroll account funds
- Ensure compliance with any and all financial and contract reporting requirements for private or public funding, licensing, or regulatory agencies
- Adhere to internal controls to assure safeguarding of assets and reliability of financial statements
- Assist Finance and Administration Manager with monthly financial statements and ensures their accuracy and timeliness
- Assist in resolving accounting and financial problems and/or issues
- Coordinate with business unit leaders to ensure accuracy of invoices and vendor billing
- Assist in preparation of annual budgets and cash flow projections for department managers
- Assist with proper preparation for annual financial audit
- Review all receipts and disbursements, ascertain correct account distribution and ensure all supporting documentation is accurate and in order
- Process customer loan payments and assist Fund manager in applying payments
- Prepare checks from check request from operating accounts for vendors and staff reimbursements
- Create and generate all CDBG and State of Maryland billings
- Maintain contract fund accounts and revise contract budgets, as needed
- Assist in preparation for audit in coordination with Finance and Administration Manager, Deputy Director for Finance and Administration and outside auditors
- Maintain appropriate filing system for expenses, contracts and properties
- Work with Finance and Administration staff to support all Human Resources functions
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the Deputy Director for Finance and Administration and Executive Director
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Minimum of two (2) years of accounting and bookkeeping experience. Fund accounting experience is highly preferred
- Minimum of 1-2 years of accounts payable and accounts receivable, bank reconciliation and general ledger experience
- Prior payroll processing experience
- Prior experience working in a non-profit environment is a plus
- Ability to create reports using data and research
- Exceptional time management and organizational Strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to successfully meet deadlines and tasks with competing priorities in a high-volume work environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Intellectual curiosity and willingness to learn new concepts
- Ability to work well in a team environment, as well as an independent contributor, with minimal supervision
- Ability to successfully interact and foster positive working relationships at all levels within the organization
- Experience using financial software and developing spreadsheets
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience using various database management systems to track daily financial activities
- Advanced knowledge in MS Office High level of proficiency in Excel
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, or equivalent related work experience
This position does not have management/supervisory responsibilities.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, smart phones, office phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit for long periods of time, stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms and requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies up to 25 pounds.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position offers a competitive base salary, excellent benefits and a great working environment. Candidates interested in applying for this position should submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Neighborhood Housing Services of Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity employer/M/F/Disability/Vet.