COME JOIN OUR TEAM!
You have goals and dreams that matter to you. Let’s see if we align!
We are looking for the right person to help us make the homeownership dreams of the 800+ customers who come through our Homebuying Center come true! If you have a passion for Baltimore City and a desire to help people buy homes, we would love to talk to you.
Neighborhood Housing Services of Baltimore is a well-established nonprofit organization with a team-oriented work environment. NHS of Baltimore’s mission is to spark renewed vitality in neighborhoods by engaging our community partners, increasing sustainable homeownership and advancing capital solutions. We are looking for an experienced Comprehensive Community Development Director to join our growing team in Baltimore, Maryland.
The Comprehensive Community Development Director (CCD-Director) is responsible for coordinating the full scope of the organization’s community revitalization efforts to include resident engagement, property acquisition and rehabilitation, and economic development. This person will supervise a small team and ensure all department goals as well as reporting and compliance are met. The Comprehensive Community Development Department works alongside community partners to support and advance community priorities. As such, the Director will cultivate and support the team development needed to ensure the community voice remains primary.
Resident Engagement activities involve working to help existing residents thrive within the community by connecting them with resources, training and education opportunities. The engagement team coordinates and provides oversight of resident block projects; larger capital spruce-up projects; residential and commercial district clean-ups; and, as available, commercial façade improvement projects. Lastly, the engagement team refers community members to take advantage of other NHS of Baltimore services through counseling and lending, as needed. The CCD-Director ensures all these activities are completed and works with the team to strengthen and continue to grow the work.
Property acquisition and rehabilitation activities involve coordinating scattered site and new construction real estate development projects. This team manages the organization’s real estate development portfolio, engaging in contract negotiation to acquire the property and coordinating renovation though development partners. The CCD-Director will work with the team to enhance this program and will ensure all compliance.
Lastly, working with the Executive Director, this position is responsible for integrating the economic development activities into the CCD Department. Once integrated, the economic development activities will be scaled up to include the continued oversight of the Mill on North Food Hall.
- Oversee all departmental operations (community engagement, acquisition rehab and economic development), including building community support and working with various internal and external stakeholder groups.
- Ensure department reporting and compliance to include but not limited to new market tax credits, NeighborWorks America quarterly reports, other city, state, and federal reports and all other applicable reporting as necessary.
- Work with the Deputy Director to ensure departmental reports are submitted to the NHS Board of Directors on the progress of all development projects.
- Ensure accurate departmental program data and tracking.
- Ensure the establishment and maintenance of key relationships within each program area to include partner developers, partner realtors, wholesalers, partner lenders, community residents and leaders, community-based groups, anchor institutions, and all other stakeholder groups that have cause to partner with the organization around our various community development endeavors.
- Working with the CCD team to create and sustain maximum program delivery flows, which ensure highly successful and scalable products and services. For example, developer and realtor selection processes, developer and realtor network growth, community project selection, resident service referral process, etc.
- Coordinate with team to ensure the equitable recruitment, vetting and management of development partners, ensuring strong representation of minority- and women-owned businesses.
- Working with the in-house developer to ensure the proper negotiation of all major agreements and financing documents, including limited partnership agreements, loan documents, construction contracts, architectural agreements and property management agreements.
- Oversee the budget and timeline management and progress of various CCD projects.
- Coordinate and ensure all grant submissions and grant reports related to the CCD department.
- With the support of the Deputy Director and her designee/s, create departmental policies and procedures that promote effective workflows.
- Build a strong internal team as well as collaborate with external NHS partners.
- Facilitate meetings and deliver information to internal and external clients and community partners.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Experienced and knowledgeable in various aspects of community engagement and housing real estate development, including finance, entitlement, design and construction, and economic development
- Understanding of city, state and federal grant and subsidy funding
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- An entrepreneurial and creative approach to problem-solving and program advancement
- Well-organized and detail-oriented, with excellent analytical skills
- Advanced skills in MS Office software, in particular, MS Excel and other data tracking software
- Advanced skills in budgeting and forecasting
- Knowledge of best practices in neighborhood revitalization
- A working knowledge of building construction practices and standards
- Strong conflict management and resolution skills
- Professional presentation and demeanor
- Within 6 months of employment, must develop a strong working knowledge of all NHS programs and offerings. Ability to educate and encourage stakeholders to utilize and/or promote these services, as needed
- Solid understanding of target community-level data and trends.
- Ability to travel within the area to attend meetings and events
- Flexibility to work outside of a standard forty (40) hour work week schedule, which may include evenings, nights and weekends
- Excellent math and accounting skills
- Demonstrated ability to build a high-performing team
- Demonstrated proficiency in program financial analysis and word processing software
- 10+ years of experience working in real estate development, neighborhood revitalization, city planning or related field
- College degree in Urban Planning, Real Estate Development, Architecture, or related field is a plus
- Demonstrated experience with managing housing and/or commercial development projects from concept to completion, including tenant lease-up and management
- Demonstrated experience working through city and state municipal processes and working with community stakeholders
This will require supervision.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Though most of the duties will take place in an office environment, there may be times when an inspection of a property during various stages of rehab might be necessary.
This position offers a competitive base salary, excellent benefits, and a great working environment. Candidates interested in applying for this position should submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Neighborhood Housing Services of Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity