Neighborhood Housing Services of Baltimore (NHS) is a well-established non-profit organization with a team oriented work environment. NHS of Baltimore’s mission is to spark renewed vitality in neighborhoods by engaging our community partners, increasing sustainable homeownership and advancing capital solutions. We are looking for a Deputy Direct for Finance and Administration to join our growing organization and leadership team in Baltimore, Maryland.
The Deputy Director for Finance and Administration is a key member of the leadership team and is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting, grant reporting, and loan portfolio management. This individual will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. The Deputy Director for Finance and Administration will also ensure all board approved policies are up to date and followed and will make recommendations for changes as needed. The Deputy Director for Finance and Administration is responsible for leading and managing all accounting staff members and administrative support positions to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner.
This leadership position oversees a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation, reporting to State and Federal agencies tracking grant awards, and preparing the budget and cash flow forecasts. The Deputy Director for Finance and Administration will work closely with the Deputy Director for Operations and the Executive Director to oversee all activities of the organization. This individual will provide leadership within the organization in managing all organizational finances and will work with the team to identify and secure additional financial resources.
This is a senior level position who will be a valued member of the executive team of three (3). This position requires the ability to think strategically and consideration for the overall needs of the organization, as well as the ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality on business matters. Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills are required.
- Guide financial decisions by establishing, monitoring and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Ensure maintenance of effective internal controls to assure safeguarding of assets and reliability of financial statements.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure of the organization.
- Manage the monthly financial statements and ensures their accuracy and timeliness.
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly and year end close activities.
- Ensures compliance with any and all financial and contract reporting requirements for private or public funding, licensing, or regulatory agencies.
- Manage the reporting process for funders including Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), NeighborWorks, CDFI and all other federal and state awards.
- Prepare grant budgets and manage all financial reporting obligations required by funders.
- Coordinate with the Director of Resource Development to ensure accurate accounting of all funds.
- Manage the organizations loan portfolio accounts, funding available, and loan reserves.
- Coordinate with Fund manager to maximize the loan portfolio growth, loan loss reserves, accuracy of customer loan data, and reduce outstanding collection accounts from clients.
- Manage and monitor the daily banking transactions and ensure all requirements are met in a timely manner.
- Manage the accurate and timely processing of ACH’s, Wires, and positive pay transactions.
- Ensure the monthly Bank Compliance activities including account reconciliation are performed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ensure organizational compliance with Federal and State regulatory requirements as it relates to overall responsibility through GAAP (general accounting principles).
- Support department managers with budget and cash flow forecasting activities to meet overall department goals and objectives.
- Respond to inquiries from the Executive Director, and other department wide managers regarding financial results or special reporting requests.
- Develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy in the department.
- Partner with the Executive Director and staff accountant(s) to ensure a clean and timely year-end audit with outside auditors.
- Manage the general ledger functions to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Manage and oversee the development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed.
- Work with the executive team to handle personnel issues relating to staff conflicts, absenteeism, performance issues, etc.
- Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor the progress to enhance the professional development of staff.
- Support Executive Director with special projects and workflow process improvements.
- Oversee the acquisition rehab program including the flow and payment of invoices through the program and tracking of expenses by house.
- Work collaboratively with the executive team to ensure organizational needs are met.
- Attend scheduled organization training and business travel.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- 5 -10 years of experience managing an accounting function in a medium or large-size company.
- 5-7 years of management or supervisory experience in the financial reporting/general ledger area.
- Experience working in a financial environment or professional services firm is preferred.
- Strong leadership skills. Demonstrated ability to effectively coach, develop and direct the work of others.
- Strategic agility and future orientation. Demonstrates the ability to create competitive and breakthrough strategies. Anticipates future consequences and trends with a high level of accuracy.
- Strong professional presentation and demeanor. Ability to positively represent the organization at events and within the community.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills. Ability to effectively manage up, down and across the organization. Establishes and maintains effective relationships that foster trust and respect within and outside the organization.
- Strong judgement and decision making skills. Demonstrated ability to use a mixture of analysis, experience and risk factors as part of decision making process and appropriate course of action.
- Strong client service orientation. Acts with the client in mind and seeks to exceed expectations of internal and external clients.
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills. Ability to effectively manage deadlines and projects with competing demands and priorities.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced and changing environment.
- Ability to work additional days and hours as needed.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Accounting or related field, or equivalent work experience.
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIRED
- High level of proficiency in MS Office Suite. Must have strong knowledge with Microsoft Excel, Access and Word.
- Experience with Fund EZ software, Servicer3D or other large automated accounting system a plus.
- Ten-key by touch experience is required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, smart phones, office phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit for long periods of time, stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms and requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies up to 25 pounds.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
TARGETED SALARY: $100K. Neighborhood Housing Services offers an excellent benefits package and great working environment.
EllisJordan Consulting has been engaged to manage the executive search for this position.
Candidates interested in applying for this position should submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirement to Jessica@EllisJordanConsulting.com.
Neighborhood Housing Services of Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Vet.