COME JOIN OUR TEAM!
You have goals and dreams that matter to you. Let’s see if we align!
We are looking for the right person to help us make the homeownership dreams of the 800+ customers who come through our Homebuying Center come true! If you have a passion for Baltimore City and a desire to help people buy homes, we would love to talk to you.
Neighborhood Housing Services of Baltimore is a well-established non-profit organization with a team-oriented work environment. NHS of Baltimore’s mission is to spark renewed vitality in neighborhoods by engaging our community partners, increasing sustainable homeownership and advancing capital solutions. We are looking for an experienced Homeownership Advisor to join our growing team in Baltimore, Maryland.
The Homeownership Advisor is responsible for providing counseling, comprehensive education workshops and presentations to clients and prospective homeowners. The Homeownership Advisor will conduct one-on-one sessions, advise prospective buyers on the best options for pursuing homeownership and develop customized action plans. The Homeownership Advisor is also responsible for compiling data, maintaining information and providing reports related to the client’s path to homeownership.
- Provide individual pre-purchase counseling sessions to individuals interested in pursuing homeownership. Provide financial management and home maintenance education for existing homeowners
- Facilitate homebuyer and post-purchase education sessions and workshops. Conduct one-on-one customized sessions based on potential buyer needs
- Conduct research and outreach to develop prospective homebuyers to match properties in target areas
- Develop and maintain positive ongoing relationships with pro-city real estate agents
- Prepare materials for workshops, manage registration process and conduct a minimum of seven (7) homebuyer workshops each year. Prepare curriculum and lesson plans based on established guidelines
- Provide education and resources to households seeking assistance with refinance, home improvement or debt consolidation loans
- Present information and respond to questions from managers, clients, lenders, home seekers, residents and the general public
- Complete NeighborWorks continuing education classes and counseling courses.
- Positively represent NHS of Baltimore at various housing events and activities (i.e., Live Baltimore, Live Near Your Work, Cash Campaign, local college events, etc.)
- Perform thorough follow-up on all cases. Maintain and update electronic and paper files for each client. Ensure compliance with HUD standards for maintaining individual counseling files and records
- Provide tax sale prevention counseling, assist clients with water bill relief and other programs and resources, as needed
- Determine customer affordability and incentive eligibility for various programs
- Provide follow-up services for each customer in the caseload
- Attend relevant training sessions and update staff with information, as applicable
- Implement and adhere to all NHS counseling procedures. Provide data for preparation of monthly, semi-monthly, and annual reports
- Attend all group and program staff meetings and trainings
- Perform additional tasks and duties, as assigned
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Minimum of three (3) years of counseling, affordable housing, loan processing or related work experience
- Previous case management experience required. Prior lending experience is a plus
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of first-time buyer programs and closing cost assistance programs
- Basic knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices and procedures in the mortgage and housing industry
- Strong understanding of high-risk mortgage products associated with foreclosures. Ability to analyze loan documents to identify predatory or abusive lending
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills. Ability to connect quickly and build rapport with others
- Excellent planning, follow through and organizational skills
- Effective listening and problem-solving skills. Demonstrated ability to gather critical information and develop solutions to resolve identified or anticipated problems
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills. Strong public speaking skills
- Professional presentation and demeanor
- Ability to travel within the area to attend meetings, workshops and events
- Flexibility to work outside of a standard forty-hour (40) work week schedule, which may include evenings, nights and weekends
- Ability to learn new systems, procedures and concepts quickly
- Experience using client or counseling tracking systems
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Basic math skills
- Bilingual skills are a plus
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience using counseling tracking software, Home Counselor Online (HCO) is a plus
- High school diploma or GED equivalent. College degree or additional education is a plus
- HUD Certified Housing Counselor, or ability to obtain certification within first three (3) months of employment is required
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, smart phones, office phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit for long periods of time, stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms and requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies up to 25 pounds.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position offers a competitive base salary, excellent benefits, and a great working environment. Candidates interested in applying for this position should submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Neighborhood Housing Services of Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity