Neighborhood Housing Services of Baltimore (NHS) is a well-established non-profit organization with a team oriented work environment. NHS of Baltimore’s mission is to spark renewed vitality in neighborhoods by engaging our community partners, increasing sustainable homeownership and advancing capital solutions. We are looking for an Accountant to join our growing team in Baltimore, Maryland.
The Staff Accountant is responsible for the monthly processing of operational activities for the accounting department. This includes all financial data and reports issued for NHS of Baltimore, subsidiary ledgers, records and processes, as well as all regulatory and compliance reporting. The Staff Accountant will also support the administration of Human Resources. The salary range for this position is $50,000 – $55,000 per year.
- Administer all A/R, A/P, loan receivable, construction finance related bookkeeping and reporting tasks
- Perform account reconciliations, including bank reconciliations and reconciliations of all subsidiary ledgers to general ledger
- Ensure that capital and operating grants and contributions are properly recorded, allocated and reconciled to correct ledger accounts
- Process bi-weekly payroll and employee benefits and monitor payroll account funds
- Ensure compliance with any and all financial and contract reporting requirements for private or public funding, licensing, or regulatory agencies
- Ensure maintenance of effective internal controls to assure safeguarding of assets and reliability of financial statements
- Prepare monthly financial statements and ensures their accuracy and timeliness
- Assist in resolving accounting and financial problems and/or issues
- Coordinate with business unit leaders to ensure accuracy of invoices and vendor billing
- Ensure complete and up-to-date operating procedures for all accounting & financial controls
- Assist in preparation of annual budgets and cash flow projections for department managers.
- Ensure proper preparation for annual financial audit
- Review all receipts and disbursements, ascertains correct account distribution and ensures all supporting documentation is accurate and in order
- Process customer loan payments and assist Fund manager in applying payments
- Prepare checks from check request from operating accounts for vendors and staff reimbursements
- Create and generate all CDBG and State of Maryland billings
- Maintain contract fund accounts and revise contract budgets as needed
- Prepare for audit in coordination with Deputy Director for Finance and Administration and outside auditors
- Maintain appropriate filing system for expenses, contracts and properties
- Coordinate new hire orientation process, including benefit enrollment, payroll setup, and all other HR administration
- Coordinate employee evaluations with all departments and securely store employee information
- Work with Finance and Administration staff to support all Human Resources functions
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the Deputy Director for Finance and Administration and Executive Director
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Minimum of three (3) years of accounting and bookkeeping experience
- At least 1–3 years of accounts payable and accounts receivable, bank reconciliation and general ledger experience
- Prior experience working in a non-profit environment is a plus
- Ability to prepare budgets and other financial reports
- Demonstrated ability to understand complex financial systems. Knowledge of Non-Profit Fund accounting is a plus
- Ability to create reports using data and research
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills. Strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to successfully meet deadlines and tasks with competing priorities
- Strong analytical and problem solving abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Intellectual curiosity and willingness to learn new concepts
- Ability to work well in a team environment, as well as an independent contributor, with minimal supervision
- Ability to successfully interact and foster positive working relationships at all levels within the organization
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, or equivalent work related experience.
TECHINCAL SKILLS REQUIRED
- Experience using financial software and developing spreadsheets
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience using various database management systems to track daily financial activities
- Advanced knowledge in MS Office Suite
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, smart phones, office phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit for long periods of time, stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms and requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies up to 25 pounds.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position offers a competitive base salary, excellent benefits and a great working environment. Candidates interested in applying for this position should submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Neighborhood Housing Services of Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Vet.